Hewitt employees are consummate learners, inspiring leaders, and passionate scholars. Our community is collaborative, reflective, and deeply committed to supporting the research on girls. Hewitt’s robust professional development program supports employees through on-and-off-site opportunities in areas that include the latest and best research on girls, metacognition and learning, diversity and inclusivity, technology, global studies, problem-solving, mindfulness, and leadership.
- Head of Lower School
- Director of Equity and Community Life
- Middle and Upper School Mathematics Teacher - Leave Replacement
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Hewitt School - New York, NY
Established in 1920, The Hewitt School empowers girls to discover their full intellectual and creative abilities, to pursue their passions and personal best, and to lead lives of consequence with character, compassion, and conviction. Located on New York City’s Upper East Side, Hewitt is an independent school serving girls in grades K through 12. As a community, Hewitt is fully committed to a culturally diverse faculty, staff, and student body.
The Hewitt school seeks a full time middle and upper school mathematics teacher as a leave replacement from January 2020 to April 2020. The successful candidate will have a deep appreciation for student-centered, engaging, and innovative teaching practices and will welcome the opportunity to collaborate with other educators in developing integrated, problem-based curricula.
- Teach one section of seventh grade foundations of algebraic thinking, two sections of AP calculus AB, and one section of twelfth grade calculus (non-AP)
- Prepare AP calculus students to take the AP examination in May
- A bachelor’s degree in mathematics, mathematics education, or a related field with a strong mathematical background
- Three years teaching experience
- Commitment to girls’ education
- A master’s degree in mathematics, mathematics education, or a related field with a strong mathematical background
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with problem-based pedagogy
- Demonstrated commitment to anti-bias education and social justice
- Inquiry-based pedagogy
- Culturally responsive approach to teaching
- Proven dedication to professional growth and purpose-driven practice
- Professional practice and ability to model contemplation as part of intellectual exploration
TO APPLY: Please submit a resumé, cover letter, and examples of previous relevant work to email@example.com. Please reference the job title in the subject line of your email. No phone calls, please. Recruitment will remain open until the position is filled; applicants should apply as soon as possible for consideration.
The Hewitt School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It has been and will continue to be a fundamental policy of the school not to discriminate on the basis of any category prohibited by applicable federal, New York State and/or New York City laws/regulations. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment process, including hiring, promotion, demotion, compensation/benefits, performance evaluations, disciplinary actions, training, working conditions, layoff, and termination.
Hewitt is an inclusive and diverse community of students, faculty, administration, trustees, and staff and continues to integrate diversity into the life of the school. Hewitt respects and values individuals whose differences include age, ethnicity, family structure, gender, learning styles, physical ability, race, religion, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic status.
The Hewitt School is committed to offering employees a competitive salary and benefits package*, including the following:
- Medical insurance (Hewitt contributes between 75% and 90% of cost, dependent on plan selected)
- Dental and vision insurance plans
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) or Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Pre-tax transit and parking benefit
- Life insurance
- Short and long-term disability insurance
- Employee assistance plan
- Retirement plan, including automatic contribution of 8% of salary for eligible employees
- Tuition assistance for graduate studies
- Free breakfast and lunch
- Professional development funds
- Generous time off
*Benefits eligibility is based on percentage of full-time hours worked. For questions about benefits or to learn more about working at Hewitt, please contact us.