Hewitt’s 2023 winter athletics season was an exciting and eventful season for the Hawks! Congratulations to these talented young athletes.
Trained Experts, Research Practitioners, Lifelong Learners
Hewitt faculty members are trained experts committed to implementing research on girls at each stage of development. Our faculty are not just teachers but research practitioners and lifelong learners who make the extraordinary journey of a Hewitt education possible. Hewitt educators are perpetual students themselves, continually seeking out the latest available information about how girls learn best and incorporating fresh knowledge into an academic approach that fosters a truly unique and lifelong sense of purpose in young women.
- ART QA Magazine
- Creativity and Technology in Mathematics Education
- Dance Education in Practice
- Journal of Humanistic Mathematics
- Journal of Mathematics Education at Teachers College
- Narrative Magazine
- National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) blog
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) The Mathematics Teacher
Performing and Visual Arts
- Solo and group art exhibitions at galleries in New York.
- Plays directed and staged at NYC Fringe Festival and regional/national theaters.
- New York State School Music Association (NYSSMA) action research grant.
- Conducting fellowship at the Atlanta Summer Conducting Institute, Georgia State University.
Participants in Training Cohorts
- New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS) Emerging Leaders Institute
- National SEED Project (Seeking Educational Equity and Diversity)
- CARLE Institute
- National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) Diversity Leadership Institute
- Interschool Leadership Institute for Educators of Color
- Children's Environmental Literacy Foundation (CELF)
We are thrilled to announce that Alia Carponter-Walker will be Hewitt’s next director of equity and community life, effective July 1, 2023. Alia is excited to help further Hewitt’s mission by inspiring girls and young women to be proud of who they are and who they are becoming.
Hewitt teachers use research-backed strategies to bolster every girl’s capacity to overcome both systemic and individual barriers to leadership on her college campus, in her career, and in her life.
Through place-based learning experiences, students develop confidence and agency, break out of their normal routine, expand their perspectives, and gain hands-on understanding of how they can contribute to their local communities now.
Hewitt students are immersed in learning experiences that engage them in understanding the nature of systemic problems and in problem solving for relevant real-world challenges in New York City and globally.
Watch this video to learn more about how students in kindergarten through fourth grades tinker, explore, pursue their curiosities, and forge connections across various disciplines in the lower school Innovation Lab.
One of Hewitt’s newest middle school electives, Sports Leadership, is inspired by our mission to help girls and young women become game changers and ethical leaders. This class gives middle school students increased opportunities to explore, define, and practice their own leadership skills.
The Hewitt Hawks kicked off the 2022 school year with a fantastic fall season. Congratulations to all the athletes who competed and demonstrated leadership this season!
At Hewitt, students engage in STEM through hands-on, multisensory learning experiences. In this video, second grade scientists explore the real-world concepts of weathering and erosion by creating models and stop-motion movies.
This fall, a cross-constituency committee is leading a search for Hewitt’s next director of equity and community life. We have also retained two nationally-renowned diversity, equity, and inclusion leaders, Martha Haakmat and Jason Craige Harris, to work as consultants to Hewitt for the 2022-2023 school year.