Cultivating Purpose Beyond Hewitt
The emphasis on student-centered, experiential learning in lower and middle school classrooms fosters a mindset that blossoms in the upper school into a full-fledged Experiential Learning and Community Partnerships Program, which takes Hewitt's young women beyond the walls of their school. The program offers a host of different opportunities, including summer programs, internships, jobs, volunteer service, and leadership programs and gives students the opportunity to take a deep dive into a particular area of interest through an experience that is practical and hands on. Such experiences are key to guiding young women in cultivating a sense of purpose.
Hewitt’s experiential learning program provides students with exclusive opportunities and helps connect individual students with programs targeted to their interests and learning styles. Examples of recent experiential initiatives include:
- Girls With Impact is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to teaching young women the skills necessary to launch and lead their own businesses and community organizations. Through advising, mentorship, and an online course that develops a community of female leaders, Girls With Impact introduces girls to the principles of business and entrepreneurship, challenging them to research, create, develop, and pitch their own business plans.
- The Rattlestick Theater Company internship is an exclusive opportunity for Hewitt upper schoolers to work directly with theater marketing, communications, fundraising, and producing professionals. The mission of Rattlestick Playwrights Theater is to present diverse, challenging and provocative plays that might not otherwise be produced and to foster the future voices of the American theater.
- Pillows for Paws is a non-profit organization that supports animal shelters in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Staten Island. As Pillows for Paws interns, students who are passionate about animal welfare and promoting local shelter animal adoption learn about running a 501(c)3 and get hands-on experience creating social media content, organizing databases, coordinating with volunteers, and building connections with potential partner organizations.
Additional experiential initiative partners include:
- The Rockefeller University Science Outreach Program
- God's Love We Deliver
- Summer Steps at The Brick Church School
- Whitney Museum of American Art
- Urban Word NYC
- Daniel's Music Foundation
- New York Film Academy
- New York Times Student Journeys